Learning to learn

It's an interesting thing, to think about how you learn something. I'd go so far as to say, the way that you learn influences how you deal with unfamiliar situations. If you're a person who learns best by reading or by listening to someone else talking to you, it's possible that you handle new situations differently from someone who learns by doing. Even more than that, I bet it influences career choices too. If you learn by reading/listening you may be more likely to feel comfortable learning in an academic environment, i.e. university, than a vocational environment, so you're more likely to end up with a desk job than a trade. Maybe?

Anyway Lifehacker posed the question: find out how you learn. So I did the survey and discovered I'm a visual learner, but balanced verbal and non-verbal - I learn best from visual materials whether it's text or images, compared to learning by doing or by listening. Well, I knew that already! Anyone who's tried to give me directions will know that. I basically can't find my way there again if someone else has driven me there, or if they tell me the directions over the phone. If, however, they write them down (or I do) then I'm fine with it - ditto for map reading. That's what they're for after all!!

Since I'm not currently pursuing any academic learning, what does it matter what my learning style is, I hear you ask. Well, it's a funny thing but I think surveys that tell me about myself are more useful for telling me how to deal with other people than anything else. So, if I'm a visual learner and I write someone some instructions, I get frustrated when they don't seem to get it. After all, if it's written down that should be enough shouldn't it? But for many people, I guess it isn't really. So instead, maybe I need to figure out what *their* style is, and present the information accordingly. Or, to be brutally honest, the person receiving the information should know what their style is, and request the information accordingly. As in, I know I learn best by reading, so I ask for written information. Simple, eh?

... on rereading I realise there's some pent up bitterness in that last few sentences, you can tell that I may have had trouble training people in the past. Maybe I'm not such a good teacher as I am a learner :)

3 Comments:

  1. Hiren Joshi said...
    I've recently been on a massive anti-powerpoint/lecture jihad. I basically decided that I didn't want to turn up to lectures any more, since I get approximately one thing from a 20 min lecture. I thought to myself that written reports are a much better way to deliver information. Maybe it's just my learning style which is at fault here - and not the actual method of presentation.
    butercup said...
    I always fell asleep in Tuesday seminars at PXL - I'm certain it was because of my learning style, rather than the presenters, well maybe some of the time anyway...

    As for written reports - hell yeah! You can go back to them and quote them later without relying on memory or note taking - and what's more you can use them as references in more important things. Like blog posts. :)
    Hiren Joshi said...
    I just bought The Visual Display of Quantitative Information by Edward Tufte, and I'm making my way through it now. Last night I was fixing up the English on a 65 slide presentation that my friend has to make today. What struck me was that the supervisor had specifically asked for a presentation. I reckon they'd get more information from two hours of reading than two hours of presentation giving.

Post a Comment



I"ve visited my blog this many times:

Free Web Counters