"I had to cut it off" reports distressed 12-year-old

Latest news: Pluto is not a planet.

After 76 years, poor lil' Pluto has been globally realigned and is no longer classified as a planet but instead is a Kuiper Belt Object. While slightly disturbing to astronomers, and potentially world-shaking to astrologers, I feel the impact of this change has been underestimated when you think of the thousands of school children currently making solar system models for school projects.

Think about it. You've worked hard for weeks, finding or making spheroids representing 9 planets and the sun .. you've been painting ping pong balls, tennis balls, soccer balls, maybe even the odd football for fun ... and then some random astronomy bunch decides to remove one!

This morning a 12-year old rang up parent radio and complained that her diorama, due today, would have to have Pluto removed in emergency surgery. What's more disturbing is that we just don't know whether her teacher knows about Pluto - will she be marked down for missing a planet?

But being pragmatic, I expect most 12-year olds will be happy that it's one less planet to memorise .

Let me see ...

Many Very Excellent Men Jump Straight Up Near Paris
now becomes
Many Very Excellent Men Just Said Utter Nonsense

I can live with that.

3 Comments:

  1. Jarvina said...
    We were taught:

    "My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pickles"

    so I guess that now becomes:

    "Merry Vaccidents! Eddy McGuire Just Served Us Nine"
    Anonymous said...
    HAHAH! Global realignment! I remember that. I'm surprised you do too.

    We weren't retrenched, we were "globally realigned". Still felt like being retrenched though.

    Commiserations Pluto but jeez you had it coming.
    butercup said...
    I made a funny :)

Post a Comment



I"ve visited my blog this many times:

Free Web Counters