Valenswine and other diseases

The waiter has a nice Valentime story, and I've shamelessly pilfered words from that for the title. But then, it's not like they're copyright, after all he heard it from a customer.

So anyway the whole Valencrime Hallmarketing exercise bores me to tears as I'm sure it does for most of my loyal readers. If you know D™ and I you know that we don't bother with it. Why don't we bother with it? Because it's foolish to save all your lovin' up for one day of the year, and then spend far too much money buying cheesy crap that you could get cheaper in the post-Christmas sales and then throw out in the post-Christmas cleanup. Besides we subscribe to Stevie's philosophy (I didn't realise we did so until I read about it today - but there you go, I guess everything's been done before. And posted on the internet.)

But the thing that truly bugs me about Valenschwein's day is the proliferation of "V-day sux" websites. Here's one for example. Frankly people, don't you think that posting blogs, editorials, what-have-you about how bad the whole thing is, would have the opposite effect to what you intend? Isn't the point of your rants that you want people to ignore the whole thing? And yet by posting such (sometimes) well-written rants you raise the awareness of the day all over again.

I advocate religious tolerance, which also includes tolerating random celebratory days for saints, prophets, boddhisatvas, diseases, what-have-you. But my own special brand of tolerance (which let's face it can't be unique, see above) is basically apathy. If you want to observe said celebratory day, I don't care, just don't force me to do so as well. And I'll choose which celebratory days to observe for myself. I pick Invasion Day, We-Lost-The-Battle-But-Not-The-War Day, and October-Random-Long-Weekend-Because-We-Needed-Another-Holiday Day. The people I work for also tell me not to come to work at assorted other times throughout the year. Who am I to disagree?

So in the end, I think if you disagree with any particular religious or secular or marketing "International Day of" then the best thing to do is ignore it and maybe it will go away.

But then, what would I know. After all I'm posting too! But technically my rant is directed toward the rants. It's a rant rant. Or an anti rant rant. Or something.

2 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Penny wants to know if you've read "A Breath of Snow and Ashes", Gabaldon's 6th book ??
    Jarvina said...
    :) Bewdifully put. Or anti-put. Or ... I have to go and lie down now.

    That's been the great thing about travelling: you can ignore everything. Pink piggy day came and went, and I didn't even notice. Me likey.

Post a Comment



I"ve visited my blog this many times:

Free Web Counters