well, dang!

There are so many reasons the internet is cool. Forget the fact that D™ and I spent another evening sitting on the lounge next to each other with our separate laptops surfing the web. The thing is just a huge repository of good and useful geeky information.

Take for instance those mistyped URLs in your address bar. Because of the friendly way Firefox remembers your URLs and gives you autocompletion, the broken ones show up in the options list as well. Sometimes, they show up first. But all you have to do is shift+delete the b0rked one and it goes away. Noice, thanks Lifehacker.

Or, how about those times you're typing a long complicated email (or even a short frivolous one) in Outlook and you get all excited and hit *some* combination of keys that somehow just *sends* your email. Just like that. With no warning. After putting up with that for 2 years of using Outlook, I finally g00gled for it and found two things:

1. the mysterious shortcut is Ctrl+Enter. I know you can avoid weird automatic sending if you just don't fill in the address line of the email, but it's likely that your long complicated message is a reply so has a long complicated address line comprising To:, CC:, and BCC: lines so that's not always an option; and

2. There is a regedit to disable it. Ignore the stuff he says about Word unless you use Word as your email editor. Who does that? Seriously?

Yay Google.

2 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    You can use Word for email?
    Hmph. Who knew? I bet it's GREAT though.

    Btw, I'm not sitting next to her on the lounge writing this (I'm in the next room :p )
    butercup said...
    From the time of your comment I'd say that I was not only in the next room to you, but probably in dreamland as well.

    zzZZZzzzzz

    :)

Post a Comment



I"ve visited my blog this many times:

Free Web Counters