a million billion gazillion penquins

Do you remember that Far Side comic that had an individualistic penguin standing up in a crowded rookery singing "I just gotta be me!!!" ?

Ok so maybe it's just me but that's always stuck in my head. Anyway tonight D™ and I are planning to go see Happy Feet, yes, the penguin movie. According to my mum (who does not have English as her first language) they are actually penquins, which is a lot cuter. And she'd know seeing as she and my dad have just returned from the superduper Antarctica boat trip where they saw millyuns and billyuns of penquins eating, sleeping, ice sliding, swimming, regurgitating, basically anything short of flying. (duh).


Penquins seem to be a theme in today's media. There's March of the Pengs, Happy Feetsies, and now the book publisher has started a wiki called amillionpenguins where they have launched the somewhat ambitious project of the world's first web-based collaborative novel.

I don't know whether I feel it will succeed or fail. Maybe a bit of both - after all, wikipedia is the prime example of how web-based collaborative resources that "anyone can edit" can have truly good bits, and truly bad bits.

Oh well, I might read some of it one day so I'll reserve my judgement till then.

1 Comment:

  1. Anonymous said...
    I think the book publisher should call it "A Million Monkeys" this way they might come up with Hamlet.

Post a Comment



I"ve visited my blog this many times:

Free Web Counters