watching the grass grow

It's been raining a lot lately. So I've been watching Weeds. No, not the garden kind (though that happens too after rain) but the TV kind - a cute little show from the US about a housewife in one of those suburban communities where all the houses are rammed up next to one another and are all built according to the same set of plans. You know the ones. The theme song has been running through my head for *days* now and it's driving not just me but D™ insane. As he puts it, it's bad enough getting a song stuck in your head. It's so much worse when the song stuck is not the actual song but someone else's (i.e. mine) poor reproduction of it.

Little boxes on the hillside, little boxes made of ticky-tacky,
Little boxes, little boxes, little boxes, all the same.

There's a green one and a pink one and a blue one and a yellow one
And they're all made out of ticky-tacky, and they all look just the same.

Of course the song was written about American suburban development but as in all things cheap and nasty we Australians have to follow suit. Think fast food - until the American franchises started here we had our own excellent burgers at all the local takeaway shops. Burgers should have salad on them. With beetroot. And fresh minced steak. Not plastic cheese in a sweet bun with a frozen semi-meat patty slapped on.

So I'm (still) really glad that we were able to move somewhere that isn't made of ticky tacky but is all bricky bricky. Even though we haven't got a lot of heating yet and as I write this I can see my breath. Indoors. At 9am. I have lots of warm clothes!

2 Comments:

  1. Jarvina said...
    Firstly: yay! Butercup is posting again. And twice since I last checked on Friday ...

    Secondly: I'm glad that I don't know the theme tune, based on DTM's reaction.

    Thirdly: 8.46am on Sunday? Are you crazy??? 8.46AM on Sunday???!!!! Sheesh, it's like you've been made crazy, or controlled by another lifeform thingy ... or something ...

    Welcome back, tho :)
    Jarvina said...
    Ahhhh - there's more verses!!!

    *mumbles* I'll ticky-tacky butercup if she's not careful *stops mumbling and goes to look at urban dictionary ...*

Post a Comment



I"ve visited my blog this many times:

Free Web Counters