Dangerous is my medium name

I was going to call this post "Third time lucky" but found the other title more amusing.

So last night, D™ and I went to see Ocean's Thirteen at the moofies. It was much much much better than Ocean's Twelve (which sucked big time) and done with much the same style and slickness as Ocean's Eleven (which we loved, and watched on DVD, several times).

There's this excellent Mexican interlude where Casey Affleck as "young dumb white guy" is doing something mildly dangerous. His coworker says "Es peligroso". He replies with "Peligroso es mi nombre medio" (which had D™ in stitches in the first place), and translates as Dangerous is my medium name.

Apparently it should have been:
Peligro es mi segundo nombre

But seriously, Ocean's 13 is another sequel to a sequel where the sequel to the sequel is waaaay better than the sequel. It was the same with Pirates of the Caribbean - #2 was kind of boring and awful, seemed to be spending more time setting up for #3 than actually making any kind of story, but #3 was pretty fine.

And how about SpideyThree? Spidey was pretty good, SpideyTwo was average, and SpideyThree? Err... it was ok. Not in the same league as the other 3rd-part films we've seen lately.

Oh well. Next on the movie list - another sequel. I wonder if it follows the same rule.

3 Comments:

  1. Jarvina said...
    Really about the spanish? Mediodia is midday, which literally translates as "middle of the day" ... ah, companeros, quien puedo para trampear? Nadie que tiene una cabeza ...
    Anonymous said...
    I fell asleep in Oceans Twelve...I don't know how it ended! Obviously I didn't miss much!
    Christian said...
    Jarv, most of the research for this article was done by me punching stuff into internet translation sites so it's probably wrong.

Post a Comment



I"ve visited my blog this many times:

Free Web Counters