Defragmenting the reality matrix

No, I don't know what it means either. But tonight I was at a loss for things to not watch on telly, so I whacked in the ol' Serenity DVD. If you haven't heard of Serenity, shame on you, and if you've heard of it but you haven't seen it, shame on you twice over.

But, gratuitous movie links aside, very early on in the film, oh about 6 minutes in, one character says "The neural stripping does tend to fragment their own reality matrix".

Errr, what? Of course this is an endearing bit of pseudotechnopsychobabble on the part of Joss Whedon (or some hack) but the term has lodged itself securely in my reality matrix and it's doing its part to fragment what's left there.

It's like, I am exposed to so much information and so many new ideas, every day, that I don't have time to process them all adequately. And so they either go into weird dreams about peaches and Clueless, or they just float around in my subconscious, taking up valuable real estate, and giving me a vague sense of always having forgotten something. Or of someone watching me. (I get mixed up sometimes.) But what tends to happen is that I feel a bit - well - fragmented. I think making blog posts serves as a way to mildly defrag the reality matrix. A chance to say some random things that were inspired by other random things, and let it all just flow.

Speaking of flow, here's a segue into some more random thoughts. I don't know about you, but I sometimes feel a little swamped by all the "stuff" there is out there on the InterWeb. There's so much information, so many jokes, so many games, so much weather... just so much, well, stuff. It's hard to sift through and find things that are not only interesting on first read, but that remain interesting, and are worth revisiting.

For instance, there are approximately 6.5 billion people on this planet*. From all those people, how many blogs do you think there might be that are actually creative enough to draw in passers-by, and of the creative ones, how many that manage to maintain that without degenerating into stories about "grilled cheese and potty training"? Speaking of reading blogs, the story I linked by WSJ just there, has some funny statistics which you should read if you have the time (or the attention span).

I feel much better now. I think the reality matrix is no longer quite so fragmented, (apart from a few minor glitches) so I shall bid you adieu.

Have fun storming the castle.

* from this point on, approximately 87.4% of the statistics are made up. Including this one.

5 Comments:

  1. Hiren Joshi said...
    The cool trick I've found in with dealing with this constant flow of information effluent off the Interweb is the system you use to manage it.

    I get amazed when I hear people don't use newsreaders or don't subscribe to RSS feeds. It's just such an easy way to deal with information coming in. The essential quality about newsreaders that make them so attractive is that it is so easy to choose what to ignore.

    On a similar note, I have a mailbox set up where it shows only the most recent messages from the past two days. If I haven't dealt with any emails in the two days they get promptly forgotten.

    So the question is: How do you deal with all these bits and pieces that you defragment? Are you a compulsive tagger? Do you get things done? Do you find it a little strange you posted the post at 2:00 AM (I'm guessing Sydney local time)?
    butercup said...
    I don't use del.icio.us - too hard. I don't use 43folders - I feel woefully inadeqaute every time I visit their pages. D™ and I use a shared yahoo calendar to look after the bills, events, etc - getting things done the old-fashioned way. I do use an RSS agregator (bloglines) to accumulate the feeds I'm interested in, but I read so many things there that I still feel swamped .. I think it's a perpetual problem. Like the Red Queen effect only virtual. Or something.
    Anonymous said...
    come back we miss you
    butercup said...
    whoever you are ... I don't know where you're coming from so I can't really come back easily ... see how your logic doesn't resemble our earth logic in any way?
    Anonymous said...
    the place is where you work.

Post a Comment



I"ve visited my blog this many times:

Free Web Counters