How many words was that?


Speaking of rain, do you remember the story in HHGTTG where this guy had some large number of descriptors for rain? Well this intrigued me so much that I thought it was high time to find out how many words the eskimos have for "snow" ... and it turns out, maybe 2, possibly 4, or if you're feeling really generous, 24. Generous meaning that things like "snowfall" and "snowdrift" and "icy slush" are all counted as "a word for snow". There, doesn't that make you feel better?

Hmm, didn't think so.

And by the way, it *always* rains at my birthday party. This type of rain can vary in intensity, temperature, and timing, but it will fall just when you're trying to decide whether or not to have the party outside.

2 Comments:

  1. Jarvina said...
    ... how about you move your birfday? Or perhaps pretend that you've forgotten about it, and that you're just celebrating the first date with double digits in Feb, ... or (ha!) or have a snorkel-themed birthday.

    I think I like that suggestion the most. :)
    SafeTinspector said...
    I know the phenomenon well. From the time I was a little boy until I was, perhaps, twenty years old it rained every single time I would go on an organized outing with more than one other person.
    As you said, duration and intensity varied, but precipitation was guaranteed!

    I seem to have shaken the curse, but perhaps I've passed it on to my daughter...

Post a Comment



I"ve visited my blog this many times:

Free Web Counters