on finishing things..

It's been a wild week for achieving stuff!

Firstly I did eventually finish that assignment, and it did get sent successfully. The nail-biting wait for the results has begun. Although the true nail-biting won't start till after the exam, I guess, as I have a lot riding on this one ;)

A post-assignment bakefest seemed in order. I love baking. It's one of those things that I could just do for days .. and have been known to do so, in the past. But during assignment and exam time I'm even more keen to bake, it's a procrastination thing I guess. Anyway the perfect excuse came up: My parents were having a dinner party and my job was to bring the dessert. So I thought about this... my speciality is a baked lemon cheesecake (most of you know how yummy that is) and I'm also quite partial to making chocolatey desserts. But the food theme was Vietnamese, so I decided to go for something not too heavy. What springs to mind when you think of "not too heavy" ..? Meringue!! Pavlova has to be my all-time least favourite dessert food, while it's my dad's all-time best favourite. Coupled with it being Father's Day and all, I thought of attempting to overcome my innate dislike and make a pav - but sense prevailed. After all how can you enjoy baking something you're not going to eat?

In keeping with the meringue theme though, and the aforementioned lemon speciality, I thought how about a lemon meringue pie!!! So I did it. With a lemon from DTM's grandparents' 50-year old lemon tree, so it was a real family effort :)


I've also achieved a personal milestone: I finally finished listening to EarthCore. It's just amazing. I really enjoyed the story, and I really like the way it finished. It was a mix of happy and tragic, and also left you hanging just a little bit so you could keep thinking about it later. The only thing I worry about, is that the monsters are called "rocktopi" like "octopi" but a single monster isn't a "rocktopus". That bothered me ;) but the rocktopi name is a very clever idea. So anyway now I've finally started listening to The Pocket and the Pendant in a concerted manner. I'm only in Chapter 2 so far, but it's very good. The background music is a nice touch. Michael recommends I also try out Morevi - so that's next on my list (who knows when I will get a chance to catch up on all this!!).

And finally, DTM is on stage again, that's not one of my personal achievements, but it's still pretty cool. He's in the Savoy Arts production of HMS Pinafore, playing the bosun (as he did for Berowra "a many moons ago"). I'm going to see it on Saturday (closing) night to show solidarity. It's a fun show.

So - in all I guess you could say .. I'm pretty happy right now !!


1 Comment:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Butercup -
    Thanks for checking out 'Pocket' ... hope you enjoy it!! ;) I technorati'd for posts and found yours, so thanks for the link, always appreciated.
    - Mark Jeffrey (author of 'Pocket')

Post a Comment



I"ve visited my blog this many times:

Free Web Counters