a better way to spend your money

The other night, $1.2million was the winning bid at an auction for a Victoria Cross and assorted other medals of an Aussie soldier killed in WWI. Or was he a kiwi. Anyway, a big deal is being made of this record amount being paid. And a bigger deal is being made of the anonymous patron who is going to generously loan the medals to the Australian War Memorial in Canberra for permanent display.

What I want to know is, who was the previous owner. The person who put the medals *up* for auction. They get $1.2million and they laugh all the way to the bank. Wouldn't it have been better all round if they'd loaned the medals to the War Memorial in the first place?

Then the mysterious War Memorial patron could spend his $1.2million (or perhaps a wee bit more) to upgrade Caves House and preserve some 340-million-year-old Australian heritage instead of this paltry 90-odd year stuff.

Seriously though folks, if you're looking for somewhere to spend your $1.2million you can't go past this place. It's not a shopping blog, and frankly, it's shall-I-say awesome. D™ reckons he can hear my voice when he goes there, either because they write in a style not dissimilar to my own, or because I'm usually talking to him while he's surfing.

Hmmm.

edit: I posted this using writely and it garbled my $ symbols into a very long weird looking string of characters. Remind me again to stop using beta software.

2 Comments:

  1. Hiren Joshi said...
    I'll let you in on a little secret - It was Kerry Stokes :)
    butercup said...
    yeah - I also heard it was a wedding present from Keith Urban to Nicole Kidman.
    what*ever* - the original owner shoulda just donated the medal to the war memorial, and kerry stokes (or keith urban) could have spent his hard earned moolah on awesome toys, or on caving, or somethin.

    o_O

Post a Comment



I"ve visited my blog this many times:

Free Web Counters