megaphone diplomacy*

or, how to spot a nerd at 5 paces ...

This story revolves around my love of parent radio, you know, the radio station that parents listen to when driving the kids to school, because it has a nice mix of news, current affairs, opinion and music. See when I was a kid, it seemed pretty boring. Then I discovered JJJ and "rebellion" of a kind ... and then Adam Spencer left JJJ and I was adrift in a sea of podcasts and MP3s on my iRiver. Ah! But then I found Adam again on the aforementioned parent radio ... then started listening to other programs there ... and decided that the mix of news, current affairs, opinions and - well - Adam's choice in music - really suited me! So here I am, a triplej convert (or maybe I'm just getting old ..) and the other day I was listening to the Drive show and there was a segment about fake movie reviews, someone was trying to guess which of a series of wildly improbable descriptions was the real movie review.

One of the reviews was for the movie "Dummy" (1979) which turned out to be "A deaf and dumb young man is accused of murdering a prostitute and defended by a deaf lawyer, starring LeVar Burton as the young man" (rather than "Babies see red when clinical research into pacifiers gets contaminated").... waaaaaaiiiiit a minute. Isn't LeVar Burton that guy who was in Star Trek? Wow, turns out he did a lot more stuff than that.

So anyway they had fake reviews for other films, one of which was "A hairdresser sets up shop in the trenches of WWI" - which was referenced in an episode of Black Books that we watched the other night. The world really is fundamentally interconnected**.

... but wait, there's more ...

The inspiration for this blog was that I was sitting watching other people play poker (because I had lost already) and somehow, somewhere, someone said something about "Potemkin" .... and I said - that's the name of the Starship in the episode where there were 2 Will Rikers ... *gulp* ... instantly I was hounded about the depth of my nerdiness, not only did I know of Will Riker, but I know the names of the starships in the episodes ... at least I didn't know the episode name, I had to google for it. So I did, and that led me to LeVar Burton, which led me to Dummy, which led me to Black Books, which led me to ... well, wherever we are.

Oh and btw - in that episode of Star Trek, Will Riker wins a hand of poker (with Worf and Data) with a full house. And then plays against himself and there's a whole lotta bluffing .... but anyway - I believe we have come full circle.

I am going to take my nerdiness off to bed now.

*megaphone diplomacy has nothing to do with this blog entry, but it was mentioned on parent radio recently. And I liked the term.

** oh and hey, it's funny how the java thingammy that shows how all weblogs are fundamentally interconnected, has failed because there are too many blogs. Hehe.

2 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    There is a scary amount of Star Trek in this entry, very scary.

    Nearly as scary as this..
    http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/yoda-backpack-179185.php
    Anonymous said...
    I too used to listed to JJJ religeously. Am now to be found surfing, occasionally landing on parent radio. Too much current affairs gets a bit overwhelming sometimes tho, as does Virginia.

Post a Comment



I"ve visited my blog this many times:

Free Web Counters